Search This Blog

This blog....

...is really just me transferring a folder of papers - scientific or otherwise - that I give my trainees at the start of their time with me, along with my ISCP profiles and any other (even barely) relevant stuff that I wanted to share. I thought I would put it online, and as things stand it is in an entirely open access format. I welcome any comments, abuse, compliments, gifts etc
This blog has embedded pdf files. They are linked to Google Drive and will not work on computers which deny access to that, such as many NHS workstations. Some browsers are better than others for this, such as Firefox or Chrome. The files can be read within the blogpost or opened separately via the icon in their top right hand corner, which also allows you to download and save them, if you want. It should be tablet and smartphone friendly.

Translate

Monday 31 July 2017

The surgical ego

You probably need to have a degree of egotism to be a good surgeon, albeit one that is cloaked with a true essential for surgical practice: humility.

Not an easy balancing act. We all meet surgeons who have an excess of the former. I doubt think that I've ever met one who had an excess of humility (myself included, he added humbly).

Anyway, our patients and their complications will help provide the latter, hence the well known perils of schadenfreude.

I give you the following short video from Steve Martin's The Man With Two Brains to illustrate the problem.




 Indeed the whole film is something of a surgical primer, and is one of the more accurate representations of neurosurgery that I've seen. The little girl in this clip is at least an ST2.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. I?d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don?t mind. Natually I?ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.You Can Appoint Orthopedic surgeon for Knee Injury doctor in Lahore from Prof. Dr. Wajid website's Drwajid.com

    ReplyDelete